- This post is for lawyers practicing in Nigeria
The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) introduced stamps for Lawyers as approved by its National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held on 14th November, 2014 at Uyo in Akwa Ibom State. This move is pursuant to the provisions of Rule 10, Rules of Professional Conduct for Legal Practitioners 2007.
The use of stamps by lawyers became mandatory from 1st of April, 2015. Lawyers are required to affix their stamp on every legal document prepared and/or endorsed in accordance with law. (Clients to take note)
In view of the difficulties experienced by some of our readers on the issue, TML paid a visit to the NBA National Secretariat and met with Assistant Director Bar Services, Sarah Ajijola, who assured us of the ease of the process as detailed below.
Fact: Did you know that the process of issuance of stamp and seal can be completed in 24 hours? Also did you know that you can conclude your NBA Legal practitioner verification process in 6 hours or less?
Follow these easy steps.
- Pay your annual bar practicing fees. Read how to do so here
- Get verified: It is mandatory for all legal practitioners to be verified. To do so:
a) Download and complete the data verification/update form here. b) Along with the form, attach copies of the following documents:
- Call to Bar certificate
- Means of Identification (i.e International Passport, Drivers’ Licence or National Identity card)
- Proof of payment of Bar Practice fees
- Proof of payment of Branch Dues.
- Evidence of Change of Name (if any)
- Proof of payment of non-refundable administrative fee of N 2,000 into Access Bank Plc Nigerian Bar Association. Account No.: 0694192944. Sort Code: 044081179
and mail to firstname.lastname@example.org copying email@example.com OR if you are in Abuja, submit at the NBA National Secretariat. You will be verified in 6 hours or less.
3. Pay your branch dues: Visit you local NBA branch to confirm amount and other payment details. Abuja lawyers to see note at bottom of post.
Now that you have sorted 1 to 3 above, you are ready to apply for your stamp. Mrs Ajijola again assures that you secure your stamps within 24 hours in Abuja and 3 days for lawyers outside Abuja.
- Download the stamp application form here
2. Complete the form and have it endorsed by your local branch chairman. Abuja lawyers please see note at the bottom of post.
3. You can choose between a pack of 72 Stamps (3 Sheets) at N 4,000:00 (Four Thousand Naira) OR a pack of 24 Stamps (1 Sheet) N1, 500:00 (One Thousand Five Hundred Naira). Also, there is the red stamp for public practice and the green stamp for private practice as shown below.
BANK: ACCESS BANK PLC
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 0694192920
5. Attach proof of Verification, Payment of Bar Practicing Fees, Branch Dues, Payment for Stamps and Evidence of Change Of Name if any and mail to firstname.lastname@example.org copying email@example.com OR submit to your local branch chairman.
6. Collect your stamps within 24 hours from the National Secretariat if you applied via email and if you are in Abuja. For applications made through branches and outside Abuja, collect from branch in 3 days.
- Formerly you could get more stamps for cheaper but the number has since been reduced in line with our economic realities.
- Should you face any challenges in the process, call the National Secretariat, Abuja on 08175751180 or 08039177886.
- Do not make more than 1 application at a time. Trust the process.
- Abuja Lawyers: Get your forms endorsed by your branch Vice Chairman. Contact Assistant Director Bar Services of the NBA National Secretariat, Mrs Sarah Ajijola firstname.lastname@example.org or08039177886 for payment details.
- The NBA National Secretariat is located at NBA House, Plot 1101 Cadastral Zone A00, Central Business District, Abuja F.C.T. Nigeria
Share your thought of this post in the comment section. Remember, it is important to share this post.