1. Under an endlessly bad economy, endlessly bad leadership at all tiers of governance almost uninterrupted since independence, and uncertain political future, Nigerians hurt.
2. Over the accident involving Yusuf, the first son and his friend, the first family hurts.
3. Over the announcement of recent deaths of learned colleagues amidst a failing justice delivery system, which delivers more delay than justice, the bar and justice sector hurt.
4. Under these excruciating circumstances, to mention only a few, the words ‘happy new year’ seem altogether trite. But wish it we must, for without hope and faith, we are sunk.
5. And so, I Ikeazor Akaraiwe hereby extends a prayer for healing to a hurting nation, a hurting first family, a hurting bar and justice sector; and irrespective, a happy and prayerful new year of rededication and renewal to the ideals of those greatest of all laws; loving the Lord our God and our neighbours as ourselves.
It is well.
January 1, 2018