The monthly general meeting of the Abuja branch (Unity Bar) of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) will take place tomorrow, Friday 10th of November at Merit House, 22, J. T. Aguiyi Ironsi Street, Maitama, Abuja by 4PM.
Members of the branch are urged to attend the scheduled meeting where they will be properly briefed with more details of the branch activities.
The notice of meeting was published by Mr Julius Atanawhemera. In the notice he urged members to “note the following facts already established:
1.The Branch election to her various offices was held on 13th June, 2016.
2. According to the Kanu G. Agabi, CON. SAN 3 Man Reconciliation Committee that was set up after the said election, Mr. Ezenwa Anumnu was NOT eligible to contest election into the office of Branch Chairman because one of his nominators by reason of having held office for three terms from 2010 – 2015 as branch officer and therefore ineligible to contest for the position of branch chairman until five years from 2015 was not eligible to nominate Mr. Anumnu. His nomination being supported by only one eligible nominator failed to meet the requirement of Art. 15(3).
3. Mr Victor Abasiakan Ekim, was eligible as the allegation that he had not attended 5 branch meetings in the 12 months proceeding his nomination was demonstrated to be false from the register of attendance of branch meetings by members.
4. Mr Lawrence Erewele’s allegation that R.A Sadiq had held office for two previous terms and the five years wait period had not yet run out for him was sustained and R.A Sadiq was disqualified.
5. The candidates affected by the adverse decision of the Electoral Committee on the eligibility/disqualification were duly notified of these decisions which were also compiled in tabular form, printed and displayed on the NBA Notice Board at the Secretariat.
6. Although, the substantive Chairman of the Abuja Branch Election Committee resigned on 10th June, 2016 in the night citing undue pressure, the elections nevertheless proceeded on 13th June, 2016 with the participation of only eligible candidates.
7. The election proceeded by means of electronic voting among eligible candidates for contested positions and the following votes were recorded to wit:
a. Mr. Victor Ekim – 170 votes
b. Izy Nwaiwu – 90 votes
a. Mr. Chinedu Obienu – 149 votes
b. Mr. Lawrence Erewele – 111 votes.
8. Ezenwa and Lawrence engineered a letter written by Chief Dafe Akpedeye, SAN, Chairman NBA Election Monitoring Committee in accordance with then Mr President directives to recognize Ezenwa as Chairman and Lawrence as Secretary of the Branch despite the winners of the respective positions through the concluded election.
9. Elders of the Branch felt this is not possible and as such stood and are still standing by the winners of the 13th June, 2016 election except 3 members of the elected EXCO who decided to join the rebellious team.
10. Ezenwa and Lawrence, on their own part felt they have been given a mandate by then President of NBA and not the members with Elders of the Branch as such, no one can stand in their way.
11. At the emergence of President Alh. Abubakar Balarabe Mahmoud, SAN, OON, he constituted the Kanu Agabi, CON, SAN 3 Man reconciliation Committee for Amicable resolution of the matter after several failed attempts by the Elders of the Branch. Although, Victor approached the Court to secure an injunction that restrained Ezenwa from parading himself as the chairman of NBA Abuja, Unity Bar.
12. Ezenwa and Lawrence disrespectfully refused to submit neither did they show up before the reconciliation committee.
13. Aba NBA NEC took a stand on the matter and thereby asked Victor, Ezenwa, Chinedu and Lawrence to step aside while a 3 Man caretaker committee was put in place to organize bye election for the offices of Chairman and Secretary only.
14. Although, this position did not go down well with Victor and Chinedu but in the spirit of Peace, they both accepted and stepped aside accordingly.
15. Ezenwa and Lawrence still rebelliously refused to step aside and thereby went to Court to secure an injunction to restrain the Caretaker Committee from conducting bye election to fill the respective offices of the Branch.
16. The Order gotten by Ezenwa and Lawrence from the the FCT high Court is not expressly restraining members of NBA Abuja (Unity Bar) from meeting.
17. Moving forward, Mr. President acting under the NBA constitution, appointed Princesses Frank-chukwuani as acting Chairman and Noah Ajare as acting Secretary of the Branch respectively pending the determination of the substantive cases filed by Ezenwa & Lawrence at the FCT High Court since they have refused to adopt the path of peace as showcased by their colleagues Victor and Chinedu.”